It’s official, I’m the last one standing in this house. Adam is one cough away from losing a lung, Rondo has something going on with his sweet little eyes and you know all about The Gidge’s recent brush with pancreatitis. Gidget Watch 2013 Update: she’s home now, thank goodness! Resting, eating chicken and rice only for the next month (I think that was her plan all along), and on the road to recovery. The one silver lining in all this is that they had to shave her leg to give her an IV and now she looks like she either has a wooden peg leg or got attacked by a mini shark. I feel badly laughing in a sick dog’s face, but I can’t help it. I mean…
Last night, after running around picking up meds for everyone, I thought I’d make something light and fresh that might help everyone ingesting it feel lighter and fresher. I was wrong, and we’ll be having soup tonight, because sick people like soup, not shrimp. BUT, I’d otherwise recommend these Cilantro and Jalapeno Shrimp Cakes for a nice late summer dinner (or lunch) option, inspired by SkinnyTaste. I paired mine with some grilled corn and grilled zucchini spears (not pictured). For Adam, I through together a little lemon, basil angel hair pasta as a base because he’s not a huge fan of corn. Who doesn’t like sweet summer corn, grilled to perfection? I’m suspect of his taste. Whatevs… more for me.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large jalapeño, minced
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons panko (use GF crumbs for gluten free)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- Dry shrimp on paper towel and combine with jalapeno and garlic in food processor or mini chopper.
- Chop/grind until almost paste-like (not many big pieces remain)
- Combine next 5 ingredients in a medium mixing bowl
- Add shrimp mixture to dry ingredients mixture and mix well
- Form into 3-4 patties, depending on what size you want. Wet hands before forming patties to help with sticking
- Heat non-stick skillet over medium-heat and spray with PAM.
- Cook patties, undisturbed, for 4 minutes per side.
- Serve over grilled corn and top with avocado and lime. (Don’t leave these two out! Yummm!)