Today called for a family favorite for dinner. It was a tough one, Gidget had to go to the emergency room and we found out she has pancreatitis. Poor little thing is staying overnight at the hospital. And, let me tell ya, that’s like staying at the Four Seasons… in the penthouse suite. For that price I can only hope that she is getting champagne pumped into her with her fluids. If you don’t have a pet, the things we do for our pets makes us sound like crazy people. But, when you have one, you are absolutely aware of your pet on-set insanity and you don’t apologize for it one bit. My non-pet-owning bank account thinks I’m crazy. And I agree.
After all this drama, for dinner tonight I wanted something comforting. One of this house’s favorite dishes, esp. Adam’s, is this chicken pocket of goodness. I asked Adam what we should name it as I began to write this post, and his first suggestion was all we needed, “Chicken Delisiousness”. Yep, nailed it. This dish is super easy to make, it’s the perfect comfort dish and it’s still not going to blow your calorie budget.
This one is not necessarily the best photo, unless you see the dish for all it is. Hopefully these photos help tell the story. And the story is deeeeelisssh.
This medium chicken breast is stuffed with bacon, light cream cheese, green onions, parsley, salt and pepper and wrapped in a light flaky dough. Unfortunately, we don’t live in food heaven, so we can’t have bacon everyday. When a recipe, like this, calls for 1-2 pieces of bacon, I’ve found that you can buy just two slices from the meat counter. Rather than buying a whole pack, you can get just what you need, save some cash [I'll take anything I can get with The Gidge at the Four Seasons (re:VCA Hospital)], and not be tempted to eat bacon every morning. Oh.. but that would be great, wouldn’t it?
Recipe for this family fave below. But first, story time..
*After you finish stuffing the chicken and wrapping it in pastry – this should be about what it looks like. I cut the sheet horizontally, placed a 1/3 of it on the bottom, laid the chicken down and then wrapped the other 2/3 over the top and pinched the two together*
*Insert perfectly crispy/ flaky breaking sound here*
*an inside look at what heaven looks like*
- 2 chicken fillets
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- few slices of bacon
- a handful of flat-leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 spring onion (chopped, whites included)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Defrost puff pastry until ⅔rds defrosted. (Ideally, you want to have some pliability, but some structure too)
- Cook bacon and pat dry on paper towels. Chop into small pieces. (see note below)
- Combine cream cheese, bacon, spring onions and parsley.
- Cut pocket in chicken breast. Ideally, you want to slice from the top middle and create a “nest” like pocket.
- Stuff each chicken breast with cream cheese mixture.
- Wrap each chicken breast in a puff pastry sheet.
- Whisk egg and brush over top of puff pastry.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Cook at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes.