… said no guy, ever. However, I’m talking about the four wheel monstrosities that crowd up the roadway and literally DRIVE YOU OFF THE ROAD when they decide that the left lane seems more happenin’. On my way to boot camp today, one of these army tanks came careening at me, forcing me to nearly make a car faceplant into the shoulder barricade. It’s at that moment when I wished I could transform my car into a Monster Truck and literally drive up and over him with the words “Hostile Territory” dramatically airbrushed on my bumper.
And here’s my question to the driver of this vehicle: Where are your friends? Ya know, the ones that should tell you that buying an army tank that you paint iridescent green and put chrome wheels on is not a cool move. Especially because those wheels will tip everyone off to the fact that you, my friend, are not going into any off-road combat situations anytime soon. But… I digress.
Onto tonight’s meal – I must say that Zucchini Boats are in major rotation ’round these parts this summer. It’s a great way to cram in all the delicious flavors that you love in a low carb boat of goodness. (And I stuff my boats like I used to stuff my bra in 7th grade…heavily). Bonus points: This recipe makes enough for leftovers for lunch all week.
Tonight’s titillating treats are the Oooey Gooey Stuffed Zucchini Boats:
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice
- 3 medium zucchini (about 8 inches)
- 1 pound ground turkey (or 93% lean ground beef)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1.5 cup (6 ounces) shredded pepper jack cheese (I don’t do reduced fat becuase I don’t think it melts well – but you can!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard