So, I’ve got to admit, now that I’ve joined society and am no longer working from home, putting together meals that take longer than about 45 mins (start to finish) gets a little tricky. However, I’m still bound and determined to put healthy, yummy meals on the table at least 4 nights a week. In honor of this new chapter (and cooking learning curve), I’m starting a new series – “MM” aka Minute Meals. I’ll be adding “30MM” 0r “45MM” to recipes that are under 1 hour, from start to finish. Remember, the right side bar has all kinds of categories in case you’re looking for something specific. You’ll also now find “30MM” and “45MM” – so if you’ve got tighter timelines, you can hop in there and check out some great quickies. (Side note: Did that make you think of inappropriate things? My mind is always in the gutter.)
Geez Court, GET ON WITH THE MEAL. 30MM, 3 hour long story. Story. Of. My. Life.
Ya’ll, we’ve officially been Austin residents for three weeks. My how time flies when you’re eating BBQ. I thought I’d take the southern food festival down a notch and fix up something fresh. These California Greek Chicken Bowls are delish and can be customized. Hopefully my version will give you a good launching point to create your own:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups roasted chicken (I pull the white meat off a grocery store prepared/roasted chicken)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- ¼ 15oz. can of black beans
- 10 halved cherry tomatoes
- feta cheese (for topping)
- Bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Add quinoa, bring back up to boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and let simmer 12 minutes – or until the chicken broth has been soaked-up completely.
- In the meantime, sauté onion, pepper and zucchini in a pan with a small bit of olive oil until tender crisp, about 5 minutes
- Warm black beans in the microwave 30 seconds-1 minute.
- Once the quinoa is ready build bowl:
Layer 2: Peppers, Onion, Zucchini, black beans, avocado
Layer 3: Chicken and tomatoes
Layer 4: Feta Cheese